Easter Play Scripts
Looking for an Easter Play script?
Whether you want to put on a small play for children’s groups or a larger play for your church or local community, the first place you will want to start is with a good script. In this blog, we explore some of the ways to find a script and how to adapt an existing script or write your own.
The Passion Trust has scripts available for download on our website here. The scripts include those used in the following Passion Plays:
- Manchester Passion in 2017, performed in the Cathedral gardens to over 3,000 people and filmed by the BBC for Songs of Praise on Easter Sunday.
- Bolton Passion in 2016, performed at the Town Hall for an outdoor audience showing the betrayal, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Glasgow Passion in 2015, a commissioned script by Rob Drummond performed in George Square, Glasgow using film and big screens to bring a modern slant to the story.
You can also find Easter play scripts available for download online:
- Ministry For Children has a free Easter script for a simple drama to share the message of Jesus’ Resurrection. This Easter play has many parts for children and could be produced almost entirely by the children’s ministry.
- Andrews University have provided a Passion Play script based on events in the Bible’s story of the first Easter.
- A range of Easter Plays can be found at the Christian Plays website. From scripts for Easter monologues to scripts for large casts, you can find scripts for people of all ages and acting abilities!
Writing your own script?
You may also want to write your own script or adapt scripts that you have found online. Remember, it is always a good idea to check with the person who wrote the script to see if they are happy for you to do this!
Many people find that the best Easter play scripts are the ones they write themselves while working with others in a workshop setting. Workshopping a new script means you go straight back to the Bible and find ways of re-telling the Bible story from an authentic experience or wrestling with the text.
The best Easter play scripts are the ones that stay true to the Easter story as it is given in the four Gospels.
As you read through the Gospels and imagine what it would have been like to be there, or imagine what it would be like on a stage, and the first stage of the writing process will have already begun…
Visit our website to read more about four tools to help write your own play: Research, Reflect, Re-write, Reveal. We also have a whole host of other hints and tips.